Saturday, July 13, 2013

Fish and Chips, On Vacation Time

I am on vacation in the land of Red Sand... Prince Edward Island, Canada. I have been busy vacationing so I am writing a review of one of my favorite Gluten Free restaurants, instead of posting a recipe. 



The Island Stone Pub in Kensington, PEI has several Gluten Free Menu items, including the best Fish and Chips I have ever experienced.  It is situated in a Historic Train Station Built in 1905. For cyclist, the rail lines next to the station are part of the on the Confederation Trail. It is cool to be able to see the tracks and what used to be the platform.

A few years  ago, several family members wanted to go for Fish and Chips.  They told me this pub in Kensington had the best on the Island. I tagged along, figuring there would not be much I could eat, but  I did not want to ruin the fun. Everyone at the table ordered Fish and Chips.  I had found something on the menu I figured I could adapt. I started to give my spiel explaining gluten free to the server, and was pleasantly surprised that not only did she have a good understanding of Gluten Free.... She told me that the Fish and Chips are Gluten Free!!!  ... It got even better  ...It is the same Fish and Chips they serve everyone, so I was able to eat the same meal my family members were raving about. 


The Fish and Chips are absolutely fabulous. The fish is fresh and flaky with a light crisp batter.

When I am on the Island, I visit the Stone Island Pub as often as I can get people to join me. Everyone who has dined with me loved them and would not have guessed they were gluten free. 

On a recent visit, I met the owner, Karen. She was very friendly and obviously takes pride in her food and business.  She told me she decided to use rice four in the batter because it repels the oil and creates a better culinary experience. The menu also has several other Gluten Free items including Crab Cakes and Wings.  If they are anything like the Fish, they will be excellent.

The pub has a great atmosphere, you can eat gluten free and worry free. A visit to the Pub is an all round great Island Experience.... It features great food, friendly service and on my most recent visit, a live local band completed the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment